If you’re in the market for a used car, you may think Craigslist is where all the great deals are to be had, but that’s not necessarily true.
There are some excellent Craigslist cars for sale By owner, but you have to research which cars are worth the price and which aren’t!
We’ve put together this list of tips and tricks to help you navigate Craigslist and get the best deal when buying from an owner instead of a dealer.
Finding Your Car on Craigslist
Finding Craigslist cars for sale by owner is easy—and it’s free. First, head to Craiglist’s homepage and click on Cars & Vehicles under For Sale. You can choose between cars for sale by owner or dealer (by clicking on each).
Then, filter your search by city, year, price range, and mileage. You can also search by make and model if you don’t know what vehicle you want—just be sure to specify when searching by making because Craigslist is filled with all kinds of vehicles that aren’t cars at all!
How to Negotiate When Buying From A Dealer
Let’s say you find Craigslist cars for sale by owner that looks good. You contact and negotiate with a dealer or a private seller. You might have to haggle back and forth over price.
To do it, use these tips: haggle over everything; never agree to one price without getting them to lower it on at least something; don’t fall for high-pressure sales tactics like saying that your offer is the best they’ve earned or other BS;
remember that you don’t need to buy today (this doesn’t apply if you’re buying from a dealer); always get your financing in place before agreeing to anything. If all else fails, walk away!
The Top 5 Tips When Buying From A Private Seller: This applies only if you buy from an individual who does not work for a dealership.
So make sure to note whether someone is selling their car as part of their business (for example, eBay) or if they are trying to sell it because they just want out of their vehicle situation.
When stickers become an expression of feelings, I guess you will need them anywhere, and your car will be no exception. When the car has custom bumper stickers, your journey will be more fun. Let the sticker culture integrate into your life, accompany you on your daily journey, and add to your bright mood every day.
The reason why those two situations are different has to do with negotiation techniques and timelines for when things should happen. Here are my top five tips:
Use your gut instinct:
Look at all angles of any given situation and trust yourself.
Know what you can afford:
Do your research and know how much you can spend on a car so you won’t waste time looking at cars outside your budget.
Remember that every person loves bargaining, but most people hate bargained with.
Walk away if necessary:
People often accept less than what they originally wanted for their vehicle because it is worth more than losing money.
Pay attention to detail:
Don’t be afraid to ask questions about maintenance records, previous owners, etc.
How to avoid downsides of Craigslist cars for sale by owner:
Buying a car from someone can be a pleasant experience, but it’s also easy to have a bad experience. If you go into it knowing what to watch out for, you should get yourself a great used car at a great price.
- Inspect The Car Yourself Some people don’t care about minor scratches or dents when buying an old car from a private owner. Still, if you are only looking for vehicles in good condition, it’s essential to pay attention to little details like that.
- Use A Direct Communication Method: As with all private purchases, be careful to whom you give your contact information and other personal details. Make sure they’re using instant messaging or some type of secure communication and not just emailing or texting.
- Meet In Public Places When meeting with a seller, make sure you meet them in public places. You never know if they might try something funny so try to avoid being alone with them whenever possible.
- Be Prepared To Walk Away If It Doesn’t Feel Right Before making any decisions, do some research online and check your local laws regarding selling cars privately. You want to make sure you know everything before going through with anything.
- Get The Car Checked Out Once You’ve Decided To Buy It. When you buy Craigslist cars for sale by owner, always ensure they get checked out by a professional mechanic before paying for them or driving off in them.
It will help ensure that there aren’t any significant problems with Craigslist cars for sale by owner.
For more interesting articles, visit Empire Pedia.